Day 110: Friday, July 29, 2011

37 miles into Crook County RV Park, Prineville, Oregon
Bob dropped me off at mile marker 54 and it only took me 45 minutes to get to the top.  I was surprised since I had to rest every mile I was going up.  Riding down the other side was fantastic fun.  The scenery is beginning to look the way I always imagined Oregon-green and lush. Lake Ochoco is about 23 miles on the western side of the mountain.  I watched a flock of pelicans complete a majestic sweep of the end of the lake and then settle gently back into the meadow.  It was a splendid sight.  I puzzled over the very strange cattle I saw in one pasture and later learned they are water buffalo.  I passed a field of unfamiliar plants and a woman I spoke to thought they might be seed carrots.  I looked seed carrot plants up on the internet and these don’t look the same.  Anyone have an idea as to what they might be?
I also saw my first view of what I think is the Three Sisters volcanic peaks.  These are the last mountains we have to cross and we will be taking McKenzie Pass to get through the Three Sisters Wilderness.  You’ll have to wait a bit to hear how that goes because we are taking a trip to Crater Lake National Park before we head up to Sisters.


Pelican formation

Mysterious plant?

Three Sisters

No comments:

Post a Comment