Day 102: Thursday, July 21, 2011

We decided to spend a few days in Baker City, Oregon, a delightful town on the edge of the Blue Mountains.  The area is rich with history related to the Oregon Trail and more than 100 homes and buildings on the National Historic Register.  Bob finally had a chance to bicycle today and we biked up to the National Historic Oregon Trail Interpretive Center.  He did alright for someone who hasn’t bicycled in several months.  My biggest advantage is that I am much more comfortable coming down the steep hills than he is, but he was right there with me climbing them.  The Interpretive Center is a beautifully appointed facility that gives a very realistic view of the hardships of going across the country in a covered wagon.  I must say that some of the same observations can be made about traveling across country in a travel trailer, particularly related to constant upkeep of your home on wheels for six long months.  I was delighted to see that the center had a penny press and even more so when the staff told me that it was only installed on Tuesday!  It’s been great fun to add to my collection as I bicycle across the country.



2 comments: