Day 61: Thursday, June 9, 2011

54 miles from Pueblo, CO to Royal Gorge in Canon, CO
We started our ride just outside of Pueblo Lake State Park.  It was a perfect day for bicycling: clear blue skies, temperatures in the 70’s and as it turns out, a fantastic tail wind (I didn’t’ really notice until we missed our turn and had to turn around  and was nearly blown off my bicycle).  The mountains are beautiful and we should be in for some spectacular views over the next several weeks.  We stopped at the library in Wetmore to get water and got a stern lecture from the librarian about altitude sickness.  She warned us to make sure we drink plenty.  We have increased our altitude pretty quickly and I have had altitude sickness before, so I drank plenty.  Hopefully, that will keep us from getting sick although we both have headaches as I type this.  There was bright sunshine so I am optimistic that is the cause and not the altitude. 
Royal Gorge is presumably stunning, but you have to pay to see any of it.  Given that we are trying to get to Breckenridge in order to visit Vincent’s friend for the weekend, we may skip this opportunity.

Me and my shadow


No comments:

Post a Comment