Day 53: Wednesday, June 1, 2011

52 miles into Cottonwood Grove Campground, Hesston, Kansas
The wind was with me today and I bicycled into the campground an hour and a half early. That after spending an hour at the Newton, Kansas library catching up on emails.    This area of Kansas was settled by Mennonites escaping the rule of Czar Alexander II, who pushed the government policy of “one language and one religion.”  As a result, I saw several Mennonite churches (which I have never seen before) and there are several great stores in the area that specialize in baked and bulk goods.

Corn is getting bigger.
A nice stand of Missouri Primrose.

3 comments:

  1. Mom, do you know all of these different flowers just by sight or do you look them up somehow?? If you do know them just by lookin' that's really impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how much I love wildflowers. So far, these are flowers I am familiar with. We did see a prairie chicken today. We had seen a sign in Cassoday saying it was the prairie chicken capital of the world, but we didn't know what they were talking about. Dad saw a bird today that looked unusual and we looked up prairie chicken on the internet and lo and behold that's what it was. We will post a photo if we can manage to take one. I have also been trying to get a photo of a red-winged blackbird, but they are too elusive so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that reminds me...remember when we saw the roadrunner on our South West trip? That was awesome. Good luck spotting the blackbird.

    ReplyDelete