Day 55: Friday, June 3, 2011

32 miles from Larned to Rush  Center, Kansas
We drove the RV to Larned yesterday.  It was so hot we couldn’t even go visit the sites in the area.  I was determined to bicycle today, so I got up very early and was on the road by about 6:30 am.  Great time to bicycle since the temperatures were cool and the wind was lighter than usual.  I wasn’t entirely sure how the wind would be blowing, so I decided to bicycle about 30 miles.  I passed by both the Santa Fe Trail Center and Fort Larned.  Obviously, they weren’t open so early, but I was able to take a self-portrait at the fort sign.
I finally saw some of the fence posts carved from limestone.  Kansas farmers and stockmen quarried limestone and used them to erect fences since there were no trees in the area.  Great use of available resources! 
I got to Rush Center about an hour and a half before the pickup time and spent a wonderful time speaking with some local women and one gentleman at Effie’s Place.  Effie is 87 and has been running the restaurant since she was 45.  The group meets every morning for cookies.  When they saw me sitting at the park across the street, they invited me to join them.  On Monday, they will be at the park handing out drinks and snacks to the Bicycle Across Kansas bicyclists.  That ride begins tomorrow in Tribune, Kansas and ends next Saturday in La Cygne, Kansas.  They follow a different route every year, but I expect to be riding in Scott City tomorrow and hope to see them.
Effie's Place

Limestone fence post


No comments:

Post a Comment