Day 46: Wednesday, May 25, 2011

We had some very severe storms last night and one lightning strike next to the campground that must have woken everyone up.  I heard the woman in the trailer next to us get up and check out the outside area.  She mumbled something about smelling smoke, but I figured someone would definitely let me know if there was a fire and so I fell back to sleep (I can generally sleep through just about anything which might not be so healthy in this tornado-alley area).  The next day we noticed that the smokestack on the Backwoods BBQ wagon sitting on the campgrounds was going full blast. Turns out the owner’s son is a championship barbecuer (he won the world championship in 2006) and he had a catering job for 300 due at noon, so he had fired up the smoker at about 2:00 in the morning.  Sure did smell good! As the day went by and we watched the weather channel for news of the storms and the many tornadoes that were sighted in the area.  Fortunately, we only had severe storms with high winds, but I can tell you it gives a whole new meaning to “leave your mobile home immediately” when you are sitting in a travel trailer. This area is beautiful, but give me Maryland where we don’t have such extreme weather on a regular basis.


No comments:

Post a Comment