Day 39: Wednesday, May 18, 2011

50 miles to Farmington, Missouri
We had perfect weather for bicycling today.  It was sunny, about 70 degrees and a light south-easterly breeze.  We stopped at the library in Chester, Illinois.  While there, we met John James Audubon, in the person of Brian Ellis.  Mr. Ellis, a storyteller and author, portrays Mr. Audubon and spoke to us only in that personality while we were at the library.  He spoke of his 1811 walk across Southern Illinois from St. Genevieve, Missouri to Henderson, Kentucky.  He was quite impressed that we are traveling the country by bicycle.  We also learned that Chester is the home of Popeye.  Elze Crisler Segar, the creator of Popeye, was born in Chester and based the Popeye characters on people he knew in the town.
Just as I was nearly finished crossing the Mississippi, I heard a beep and there was Bob passing me in the trailer.  He pulled over at a gas station and we were able get a picture of all three of us at the Missouri Welcome sign.


2 comments:

  1. YAY! I am so glad you are across the Mississippi! I also can't believe you are in Missouri already! Is that halfway? Good job!
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Mary. I'm so glad you're over the Mississippi and you are okay. When nothing came on your blog for a few days, I started getting nervous. Missouri is a state I've never visited but my mother in-law was born there! Continue on in safety you 3!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete