Day 35: Saturday, May 14, 2011

71 miles to Harrisburg, IL
Today was a little different.  Vincent didn’t feel like riding, so I rode by myself.  The detour route was a straight shot up SR 56 to cross over the Ohio River at the Shawneetown Bridge, then up SR 13 to Harrisburg, Illinois. This was the same route Bob took in the trailer and we had planned that he would stop when he saw me on the route.  As it turned out, the timing was perfect.  I was just thinking about stopping to eat at 25 miles into the ride when he came by.  He fed me some pasta and cheese bread and went on his way.
 It rained most of the day (Bronnie-the shower cap worked great to keep my bag dry), but it was about 10 degrees warmer than last time, so it wasn’t bad at all.   The flooding on the Illinois side was much worse than anything we saw in Kentucky.  I overheard one man say that he planted on high ground, but it all got washed away.  This gives me an entirely different perspective on the rain.  For me, a day of rain is a nuisance.  For this agricultural community, another day of rain on top of all the previous rain can mean no livelihood.  For their sakes, I hope things dry out soon.
We are staying at Hayes Canyon Campground, another horse camp, and this one has lots of horse occupants.  A woman I met the other day said a couple came through riding their horses across the country.  She thought bicycling was strange enough!
After trying several times to take a self-portrait at the Illinois state line by holding the camera up with one hand, I finally set the camera on the bicycle seat and used the timer.  I like the final result.  Hope you do too.

Our neighbor for the night


1 comment: