Day 128: Tuesday, August 16, 2011


54 miles from Harbor, Oregon to Klamath, California
Just after crossing into California, I noticed a crop with trumpet-shaped flowers that I couldn’t identify.  Turns out I was cycling through Smith River which is the Easter Lilly Capital of the world.  The day started out sunny, but as I cycled, the fog from the ocean came in and created an eerie, misty, miasma over the shore.  Fortunately, the roadway remained pretty clear, but I couldn’t see a thing when looking at the ocean. It reminded me of a scene out of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. We’re going to explore the Redwood Forests tomorrow since I couldn’t see much riding today--the shoulders were too narrow and I had to concentrate on making sure I didn't get hit by a car!


Easter Lilly fields in Smith River, California

A day at the beach in Northern California

No comments:

Post a Comment