Day 123: Thursday, August 11, 2011


54 miles into The Park Motel, Florence, Oregon
We bicycled down a beautiful, windy road along the Siuslaw (pronounced sigh YOU slaw) River.  Kudos to the drivers in this area as they are extremely courteous and gave us wide berth on a road with little to no shoulder.  Given that we saw dozens of bicyclists in Florence, I am sure they are quite used to looking out for those of us on self-propelled two-wheel vehicles.
As I was setting up the camera to take a photo of us at the Welcome to Florence sign, Steve Green, an avid recumbent tricycle ride and author of Trikeaslyum rode up.  He kindly greed to take a photo and while we were speaking to him, we learned he was from Florence.  We asked him the best route to the ocean and he offered to take us there.  We rode about 4 miles north into very strong headwinds, then west to the ocean at Haceta Beach.  I can only say it was a perfect ending to the Transamerica leg of this fabulous journey.  Sharing my experience through the blog has been fantastic and having Bob, Margi, Dan, Judy and John with me for the last few days was very special.     
Keep reading as I bicycle down the Pacific Coast until it is time for me to head home.


Steve Greene


No comments:

Post a Comment